We can trace our time in Tunbridge Wells back to 1903 and we are sure that the club was shooting in the late 1800s. We expect that one day the documents will come to light to confirm this. We have held the lease on our present site since 1952, prior to 1948 the ranges were privately owned by Abergavenny Estates and the club was originally based in the drill hall in Victoria Road.

 

We have always been the sole residents here and this allows us the flexibility to fit in with the evolutionary changes that all sports go through from year to year.

 

During the 2 world wars our ranges were used by the military for training and this hopefully will not need to be repeated!!

 

We have always been able to accommodate most types of  small bore target shooting requirements. Having outdoor ranges as well as indoor gives us the opportunity to have mixed shooting on all days.

 

Historically we have had membership numbers ranging from today’s around 70 to double that during the ‘60s and ‘70s.

 

Our membership today has seen a welcome increase in juniors and we encourage this positively. The youngsters of today are our future for the sport.

 

The club members have built all the facilities here today and are in the process of carrying out an extensive modernisation program for improving access and of all year round off road parking. We are currently adding another outdoor range which will accommodate standing rifle and  black powder pistol. It will also be able to used for field air gun shooting. The club has an area of woodland which we hope to utilise for holding HFT competitions.

 

                                          

 With thanks to David Martin and Malcolm Balderstone

TUNBRIDGE WELLS TARGET

 SHOOTING CLUB

BLACK POWDER PISTOL, .22 RIMFIRE, AIR RIFLE/PISTOL CLUB

History

 

home

about us

events / news

ranges

find / contact us

range safety

history

membership

related links